Q&A: Los Angeles-based artist Sciarra's edgy style reflects dark cinematic sound


Sciarra is a Los Angeles-based musician who paved her way into the industry through creating music for television shows, including "Dancing with the Stars" and "Shadowhunters."

The California-raised artist recently released her single "Back for More" after reinventing herself and her sound, which she says is more of an electronic-pop meets that dark cinematic sound.

Sciarra spoke with me about her new sound, her personal style and how she got to where she is now.

What are some movies/TV shows that have really inspired your music and desire to create music in a cinematic style?

When I was growing up, I was a competitive figure skater and used to skate to orchestral music from movie soundtracks. I always loved dramatic music that tugs a bit at your heartstrings; that was the starting of me loving the cinematic style. As I grew up, I started watching shows like "Vampire Diaries," "Pretty Little Liars" and "Riverdale." [There were] always these amazing songs in the shows that inspired me to start writing darker music.

How does it feel to have your music featured in such popular TV shows?
It feels unreal to get support from TV shows you follow and love watching. I am so grateful for the support.

How did you get to where you are? What mindset did you have to have to get you to this place in your career?
It has been a really long journey for me. I started singing when I was around 7-years-old in musical theater, and that led me to falling in love with singing. I started writing lyrics and trying to write my own original songs on the piano. I eventually had the opportunity to work with a producer in my hometown and recorded a few songs. I didn’t know much about the music industry at the time—I just knew I wanted to sing and write songs.

It has taken a long time to get to know the business and find myself as an artist. I have always had to keep a positive mindset, which can be very difficult. The music industry is more rejection than anything, and after putting your heart and soul into your music, it’s hard to deal with it being pulled apart.

What do you see as an artist that others might not? What sets you apart from other artists?
There is a lot of happy music out there, which is great, but there needs to be more music representing what’s really going on in the world and that people can relate to on a deeper level. That is my goal with music: to represent the other side.

What do you hope to do next as an artist? And how do you plan on getting there?
I hope to tour and travel the world. My goal for this next year is to release a new more singles, then work on an EP. Then hopefully [I will] be planning a tour of some kind.

And a bit about her personal style:

How would you define your style?
Edgy!

What is your thought process when choosing what to wear as a musician? Or rather, how do you feel being a musician influences your personal style?
I honestly just dress like myself. I love wearing things such as knee-high boots, leather jackets and ripped jeans. I wear a lot of black. Black is definitely my favorite clothing color. I always say I won’t buy more black then end up with 10 more things. I really need to start [wearing] more color.

How has your style evolved over time and into what it is today?
I grew up wearing really bright colors, like pink tights, neon green skirts and pretty much any neon color clothing I could find. I also loved big bows in the hair and really sparkly jewelry. But I grew out of it and fell in love with the edgy rocker style.

Any other notable style influences?
I am really inspired by Selena Gomez’s style. I love how all of her clothes are edgy but classy and sexy. But I also love how she wears the most comfy but cute clothes for a daytime look—like a sweater with leather leggings and some boots—which is definitely one of my go-to outfits for fall and winter.

Listen to Sciarra's new single on Spotify, Apple Music and other streaming platforms here. Find her on Instagram to keep up with her upcoming EP and other life updates!

Comments