Photo Feature: Chicago-based Burr Oak at Schubas Tavern July 23

Burr Oak's Savanna Dickhut performing at Schubas Tavern July 23

Hello friends.

Just recently, the local band Burr Oak came to my attention through social media. Tuesday, July 23, the Chicago band had a single-release show at Schubas Tavern, 3159 N. Southport Ave. The show started around 8:30 p.m. probably (can't remember exactly when oops!), and two other local bands opened up the night. Sick Day and Hanna Ashbrook. Both sets were uber cute!

Burr Oak came on stage, and there was a fogginess to the whole room which set the scene as something even more magical than I had expected. I love all things filled with a softness like this was. The set was energetic but at the same time made me feel in love; you know, that feeling you get when you can't help but smile. I love feeling that.

Burr Oak is fronted by Savanna Dickhut of Elk Walking. The music can be described as dream pop and does feel just as dreamy from experience. Live and when streamed. An atmospheric, dazed kind of dreamy. The show reflected that on all levels!

I chose to snap some photos of the show that night, so I'm posting them here. I enjoyed taking photos of this show because it was just so cute and soft and lovely. but I already relayed that to you, readers! here they are:















These were some of my favorites; the vocalist played one song (I think just one?) alone, which is when I took most of these shots above. also, during that time in the performance, the singer being alone created a greater sense of beauty yet distance. like a mystifying and romantic solo act at the Roadhouse in Twin Peaks.

I also managed to take a few more photos of the show that turned out a bit more fuzzy and accidental. since they're not of the best quality, I tried to edit them in a way that made them appear as though the messiness and poor quality was on purpose, I suppose. oh well! looks sort of like poorly developed film with too much exposure.









anyways. I'm obviously not the best photographer yet—still learning how to properly adjust my camera while shooting in different & new settings, esp. when it comes to darker settings at venues—but I still enjoy going to local shows and taking cute pics. love to see and support the thriving local music scene! looking forward to the Mt. Pocono EP-release show this Sunday, July 28!! see you all there.

until then, listen to Burr Oak's new single "Southsider" on Bandcamp. also listen to Mt. Pocono's newly released EP, "Fear of the Savanna, Terror of the Suburbs." love love love!

xoxo

Comments